Thursday, January 27, 2011

Getting a little class(ical)

"I used to listen to only tu pac n ice cube since I was 13 and thought that it's music. Past week I discovered Bach. This is real music. I never Jumped out of my skin and floated to the moon listening to rap..."

This was a direct quote from a comment on a video on You Tube of Yo-yo Ma Playing a cello concerto that I was watching. I did not change the "grammar" of the quote because I thought it gives some validity to the quote. I truly feel like this person has never listened to anything but rap music since they were young.
(This is the video I happened to be watching, if you want to check it out.)

I love the way that he put it. There are some pieces that just make you jump out of your skin- like Night on Bald Mountain, or Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King
There are some that make you are floating on the moon. Classical can take you anywhere. At the beginning of Disney's fantasia they describe different types of music, some that tell a very clear, obvious story, and some that are more abstract and allow the listen to create a vision of their own.
I love classical music. It somehow just speaks to my heart and soul. When I started playing the cello in 7th grade I knew a few pieces, but as I played in orchestra I learned more music and love almost everything that I played. Some of my favorites you ask? Bach- Toccata and Fugue in D minor,Liszt- Liebstraum, Saint-Saens- The Swan,Dvorak- New World Symphony, Rimsky-Korsakov- Scheherazade,Handel's Messiah, Vivaldi's Four Seasons,Debussy- Claire De Lune, Aaron Copeland's Rodeo (played this one in High School. It is the Beef song) I could go on forever really! Just two more- first is Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber. This is another one that I played in high school. It was my sophomore year, and it was a tough piece. It really challenged me, and I learned so much from this piece. It is so moving, and haunting. I love haunting music.
The last one is Nessun Dorma from the opera Turandot. I have never been to an opera, I have no idea what this show is about (I think I will go look it up on Wikipedia)But this song is amazing! The way it swells and the power of it is amazing. I want to see the opera just because of this song. Here is a video of Pavoratti singing it. AMAZING!

So tell me- are you a classical music fan? What are some of your favorites? What made you become a fan or if you are not, why not?

1 comment:

Contessa Elegante said...

I couldn't agree more with your post! And Nessun Dorma is one of my favorite opera pieces too! I've never heard anyone sing it as amazing as Pavarotti too! It would have been amazing to hear him sing that live! As far as my favorites...there are way too many to list! :) I really love anything by Tchaikowsky, Chopin, Paganini, Saint-Saens...I think there are probably too many composers to list too! My greatest dream is to hear Itzhak Perlman play in a concert! I used to think people who were moved to tears by Classical music were really weird, but now I can totally understand how that could happen. It can be even more powerful when you are part of it! Thanks for this post. I know what I'll be listening to today now.