I finally have some time to do a bit of an update. I have three weeks off from school, and not a whole lot to do so I figured it was finally time to do an actual update.
Well I am one semester closer to graduating. It seems so far away and yet so close. I am down to a handful of classes that I have to take, and then I am done. I have changed my major- sort of. I am still doing Behavioral Science with a family studies emphasis, but now for my masters I have decided to do School Counseling instead of Marriage Family Therapy. I was thinking this summer that I don't like sitting in an office all summer long. I would rather be outside in the sunshine. So I started thinking of jobs that I could do outdoors or that would let me have the summers off. Most outdoors jobs I was not interested in, but having summers off, now that I could do. I have never really wanted to be a teacher. But I thought that a school counselor would be great! Same hours of the teacher, already in line with what I have wanted to do, and I get the sumers off. So I am now doing school counseling.
Last semester, I took a class where we worked with the high schools doing parent/teen mediation. I really enjoyed this class, and enjoyed working with the teens trying to help them reach their goals for school and life. It is nice knowing that I can help people.
Let's see what else. I started going to a new ward. In May with the changes that the church did to the YSA program it affected the YSA ward that I was going to. Previous to the changes, the ward that I was in was known as being an older YSA ward. It was a single ward in a family stake. When they changed it to be in a YSA stake, it changed the ward dynamics completely. Previously there was an age group from usually 21 to 35ish. After it was droppped to 18 and the limit was 30. I had just turned 30, so I had one year left in the ward. Also what happened was that the people who were over 31 were given 3 months to find a new ward. Since I did not quite fit this group it was weird feeling. Most of my friends in the ward fit this group, and suddenly we had a ton of new really young people in the ward, that I really had nothing to relate to with them. I was frustrated, and honestly kind of hurt. It hurt to feel like suddenly just becuase you are 31 and not married you are just out of luck, and you have no options.
Anyways- we found a midsingles was in Provo/Orem area. It is interesting. But it is nice having a group of people that I already know, and it makes it easier to go. I am eager to get the chance to get to know more people in the ward.
Those are the major changes in life right now. I am sure I will post again soon, as I have a new nephew that I need to brag about!
No comments:
Post a Comment